3 Solutions for Your Smelly Sink
Are bad odors in your sink disrupting your daily routine? When organic matter gets lodged in your drains and pipes, the smell can be putrid. Thankfully, there are many DIY solutions for smelly sinks that homeowners can try before calling a professional plumber.
The expert plumbers at Western Heating, Air & Plumbing offer valuable insights about how families can combat stinky sinks using a few easy DIY troubleshooting methods with step-by-step instructions for eliminating stubborn smells.
Tips To Help Your Smelly Sink
If you’re struggling to eliminate nasty odors from your kitchen sink, you’ll be pleased to know there are several troubleshooting tips you can try to resolve the problem on your own.
Here are a few common methods you can use to get the stink out of your sink:
Run Hot Water Down Your Drain
One easy way to try to eliminate stubborn odors from your sink is to run hot water down the drain. When soap scum builds in your drains, it can produce a foul odor that lingers behind long after you’ve finished doing the dishes.
Running hot water down the drain can help break up soap scum buildup, getting rid of the terrible smell.
Use a Vinegar & Baking Soda Solution
If running hot water down your drain doesn’t do the trick, you can also use a combination of vinegar and baking soda. Here’s what to do:
- Dump a handful of baking soda down your drain and let it sit for about 15 minutes without running any water.
- Next, pour about ¼ – ½ cup of white vinegar down the drain and let that sit for another 15 minutes while it bubbles and fizzes.
- Finally, send very hot or boiling water down your drain to clear away the mixture and the smell from your sink.
This method should work for more stubborn buildup as the combination of baking soda and vinegar works to dissolve minor blockages that may contribute to the foul smell.
Use Total-C for Pipe Maintenance
Another way to clear up bad smells in your sink is using Total-C. This formula is perfect for eliminating odors and acts as a great solution for ongoing pipe maintenance.
Here’s how to use it:
- Shake well before starting, then mix 4 ounces of solution into 32 ounces of warm water.
- Apply the mixture to your drains once weekly as a preventative maintenance technique to keep your drains from clogging.
- If your drains are slow-moving, consider applying the mixture twice weekly for best results.
Total-C is most effective as an overnight treatment; however, if drain clogs and foul odors persist, there may be a bigger issue. In this case, contacting a professional plumber for further assistance is best.
Call Western Heating, Air & Plumbing for Sink Services Today
If you’ve tried the troubleshooting techniques above and are still struggling to get the stink out of your sink, Western’s team of expert plumbers is here to help.
Offering top-quality drain clog removal services that families have trusted for nearly 30 years, we’re confident in our team’s ability to eliminate foul odors and leave your system flowing smoothly for the long term.