Holiday Garbage Disposal Maintenance and Tips
Thanksgiving is synonymous with joy, family gatherings, and a feast that puts your kitchen to the test. In the midst of this bustling time, it’s crucial to pay attention to an often-overlooked ally in your kitchen: the garbage disposal. Proper care of this essential appliance ensures smooth operation and extends its lifespan, making it ready to take on holiday cooking demands.
Schedule your plumbing consultation with Western Heating, Air & Plumbing by calling (801) 218-2187 or contacting us online. After all, you have a partner in Western.
Routine Garbage Disposal Maintenance and Cleaning
- Clean Every Two Weeks: Regular cleaning of your garbage disposal is a must to maintain optimal functionality and prevent clogs. This is particularly important with frequent use.
- Clearing Physical Debris: Tackle stuck-on waste effectively by running ice cubes and a cup of rock salt through the disposal. This abrasive combination cleans efficiently, making it a natural and easy maintenance step.
Bacterial and odor control are also key components of disposal maintenance. When poured into the disposal, a combination of a cup of vinegar and a half-cup of baking soda creates a potent reaction that not only cleans but also removes bacteria and reduces unpleasant odors. An old toothbrush can be quite effective for a deeper clean, especially around the flaps and interior.
Smart Usage and Practices
- Run Regularly: Regular use of your disposal helps prevent rust and maintains its efficiency.
- Cold Water Usage: Always use cold water when grinding food waste. This helps solidify fats and oils, making them easier to break down.
- Size Matters: Be mindful of the size of the food scraps you’re disposing of. Larger pieces should be cut into smaller chunks to ease the grinding process.
- Non-Disposables: Certain items like bones, fruit pits, fibrous foods, pasta, rice, and coffee grounds should be kept out of the disposal to prevent damage and clogs.
For the smooth operation of your garbage disposal, remember that running it while the dishwasher is on is generally safe, thanks to their shared drainage system. This can even help clear any shared line debris. After each use of the disposal, let the water run for an additional 15-30 seconds to ensure all waste is thoroughly flushed out. However, it’s important to avoid using boiling water, as it can damage the disposal. Regular hot water will suffice for cleaning and doesn’t pose a risk to the system.
Incorporating these essential practices and tips into your kitchen routine goes beyond just prepping for Thanksgiving; it’s about ensuring the longevity and efficiency of your garbage disposal for all your future gatherings. But, if you find yourself facing any issues or just want to ensure everything is in top condition, don’t hesitate to reach out to us at Western Heating, Air & Plumbing. We’re here to help you maintain a hassle-free, efficient kitchen not just during the holidays but all year round. Call us at (801) 218-2187 or schedule online at WesternHeatingAir.com, and let us take care of your plumbing needs so you can focus on enjoying your holiday season to the fullest.
Happy holidays and happy cooking – let’s make every gathering memorable with a well-maintained kitchen!